Hace 1 día · Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS (1 May 1769 – 14 September 1852) was an Anglo-Irish soldier and Tory statesman who was one of the leading military and political figures of 19th-century Britain, serving twice as prime minister of the United Kingdom.
- Tory (until 1834), Conservative (1834 onwards)
Richard Colley Wellesleywas an Anglo-Irish politician and colonial administrator.He was Viscount Wellesleyuntil 1781 when he succeeded his father as the 2nd Earl of Mornington.In 1799, he was elevated to the Irish peerage as Marquess Wellesley.Between 1798 and 1805, he was the fifth Governor-General of India, and he later served as Foreign Secretary in the British Cabinet and as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
- Lord Wellesley - Background
- Significant Events Under Lord Wellesley
- Legacy of Lord Wellesley
Fourth Mysore War
1. The third Mysore war, fought during Lord Cornwallis' governor-generalship, severely weakened Tipu Sultan's power. 2. He did not forget his defeat and humiliation and worked hard to regain his power and prestige. 3. He increased his military resources and attempted to enlist foreign assistance from Arabia, Turkey, Afghanistan, and France. 4. Lord Wellesley decided to end Tipu Sultan's reign as soon as he arrived in India. He began talks with the Nizam of Hyderabad and the Marathas and was a...
Second Maratha War
1. Internal squabbles among the Marathas provided Lord Wellesley with an excellent opportunity to weaken the Marathas' power. 2. Peshwa Baji Raowas inept and failed to maintain control over Maratha chiefs. 3. Daulat Rao Sindhia and Jaswant Rao Holkarfought openly for supremacy. 4. The Peshwa sided with the Sindhia, and a virtual war broke out between Holkar on one side and the Peshwa and the Sindhia on the other. 5. In October 1802, Jaswant Rao defeated Peshwa Baji Rao in a battle near Poona,...
1. Mediatization is another method by which Wellesley expanded the Company's territory. 2. On the grounds of maladministration by their rulers, he took over the territories of Tanjore, Surat, and Karnataka, as well as Farrukhabad, whose ruler was a minor. 3. The Company, on the other hand, provided pensions to the rulers of these states.Lord Wellesley's adventures were enjoyable, but they were costly.The continuous wars with Mysore and the Marathas, as well as his policy of launching educational projects in India, put financial strain on the Court of Directors, making them impatient.In July 1805, he was recalled, and Lord Cornwallis was dispatched to India once more.His peers advised him to bring peace to the British dominions, which were under threat from wounded lions like Holkars and Scindias.
Lord Wellesley pursued an aggressive policy with native rulers and was largely successful in his goal of establishing the Company as the supreme power in India. Sir George Barlow, a close friend of John Shore and Lord Wellesley, succeeded him. His term lasted until 1807 when a mutiny broke out in Vellore in 1806.
Question: Which one of the following statements does not apply to the system of Subsidiary Alliance introduced by Lord Wellesley? (UPSC 2018) (a) To maintain a large standing army at others' expense (b) To keep India safe from Napoleonic danger (c) To secure a fixed income for the Company (d) To establish British paramountcy over the Indian States ...
23 de mar. de 2023 · Birthdate: September 25, 1445. Birthplace: Inestrillas, La Rioja, España (Spain) Death: January 25, 1495 (49) Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Castile-La Mancha, España (Spain) Immediate Family: Son of Juan Ramírez de Arellano y Sarmiento, señor de Aguilar de Inestrillas y de los Cameros and Isabel Enriquez Hurtado de Mendoza.
22 de mar. de 2023 · A su muerte, en 1516, tras la breve regencia del cardenal Cisneros, el primogénito de Juana, Carlos, sería proclamado rey sin atender a los derechos dinásticos de su madre, que quedaría confinada en el castillo-palacio de Tordesillas desde 1509 hasta su muerte.
21 de mar. de 2023 · Si no hubiera muerto el 16 de enero de 1883 antes de acabarse las obras, desde los balcones de su palacio, el marqués podría haber llegado a seguir como un jubilado más el avance de su otro gran proyecto: la Universidad Pontificia.
25 de mar. de 2023 · Nuestros clientes y socios se encuentran en diferentes puntos de su viaje de transformación energética. Ofrecemos una amplia gama de productos, soluciones y servicios en casi toda la cadena de valor de la energía. Capacitamos a nuestros clientes para que logren sus ambiciosos objetivos y les ayudamos en su camino hacia un futuro más sostenible.
24 de mar. de 2023 · Mimi Fogel passed away peacefully on March 5 in Wellesley, MA at the age of 90. She was born on August 22, 1932 in New York City to Joseph and Martha Sapir. She was raised in the Bronx with her...